Wednesday, April 09, 2008

Iraqi regrets toppling Saddam statue

BAGHDAD - Ibrahim Khalil, who five years ago took part in the iconic toppling of a giant statue of Saddam Hussein in central Baghdad, said on Wednesday he now regrets taking part in the hugely symbolic event.

“If history can take me back, I will kiss the statue of Saddam Hussein which I helped pull down,” Khalil told AFP on the fifth anniversary of the statue’s toppling.

...

“It was a historic moment. I felt like I was born again. Most Iraqis felt happy as they all were affected by Saddam’s regime.”

...

“Now I realise that the day Baghdad fell was in fact a black day. Saddam’s days were better,” said Khalil, who along with his brother runs a car repair shop.

“I ask Bush: “Where are your promises of making Iraq a better country?’

“These days when we go out we have to carry a pistol. In Saddam’s regime, we were safe. We got rid of one Saddam, but today we have 50 Saddams.”...[Open in new window]

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home