Wednesday, February 08, 2006

Horowitz's Academic Hit List
By ROBERT JENSEN

In his self-promotional mass emailings from which no inbox is safe, David Horowitz, right-wing pensioner of Richard Scaife Mellon, hypes hyped his latest book about threats to America's youth from leftist professors.The ad for 'The Professors -- The 101 Most Dangerous Academics in America' describes me as: 'Texas Journalism Professor Robert Jensen, who rabidly hates the United States, and recently told his students, "The United States has lost the war in Iraq and that's a good thing.''
I'm glad Horowitz got my name right (people often misspell it 'Jenson'). But everything else is distortion, and that one sentence teaches much about the reactionary right's disingenuous rhetorical strategy.
First, I'm not rabid, in personal or political style. I'm a sedate, non-descript middle-aged academic who tries to approach political and moral questions rationally. I articulate principles, provide evidence about how those principles are often undermined by powerful institutions, and offer logical conclusions about how citizens should respond. I encourage people to disagree with my principles, contest my evidence, and question my logic -- all appropriate activities in a university where students are being trained to think for themselves, and in a nominally democratic society where citizens should to do the same...http://tinyurl.com/9ylog
*

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home