Tuesday, April 17, 2007

Thompson apologizes for Jewish comments
Candidates says he meant to compliment success of Jewish businesses
The Associated Press
Updated: 9:38 a.m. PT April 17, 2007

WASHINGTON - Republican presidential candidate Tommy Thompson told a Jewish group Monday that earning money is "part of the Jewish tradition," a remark for which he later apologized.

"I'm in the private sector and for the first time in my life I'm earning money," Thompson told the Religious Action Center of Reform Judaism. "You know that's sort of part of the Jewish tradition and I do not find anything wrong with that."

Later, he added: "I just want to clarify something because I didn't (by) any means want to infer or imply anything about Jews and finances and things. What I was referring to, ladies and gentlemen, is the accomplishments of the Jewish religion. You've been outstanding business people and I compliment you for that."

*

This reminds me of a joke David Steinberg used to tell.

As I remember it, the set-up is he's talking to his father about racism & political correctness.

His father says, "Is it wrong to say some Jews are good with money? Is it wrong to say some black people have natural rhythm? Is it wrong to say that some Asians all look alike?"

It's probably wrong that I remember this.

Who ARE the brain police?

*




0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home