Wednesday, March 01, 2006

Study: Few Americans Know 1st Amendment
By ANNA JOHNSON, Associated Press Writer

CHICAGO - Americans apparently know more about "The Simpsons" than they do about the First Amendment.Only one in four Americans can name more than one of the five freedoms guaranteed by the First Amendment (freedom of speech, religion, press, assembly and petition for redress of grievances.) But more than half can name at least two members of the cartoon family, according to a survey.

The study by the new McCormick Tribune Freedom Museum found that 22 percent of Americans could name all five Simpson family members, compared with just one in 1,000 people who could name all five First Amendment freedoms.

Joe Madeira, director of exhibitions at the museum, said he was surprised by the results."Part of the survey really shows there are misconceptions, and part of our mission is to clear up these misconceptions," said Madeira, whose museum will be dedicated to helping visitors understand the First Amendment when it opens in April. "It means we have our job cut out for us."

The survey found more people could name the three "American Idol" judges than identify three First Amendment rights. They were also more likely to remember popular advertising slogans...http://tinyurl.com/l7x8c
*
News flash: people are stupid (or at least willfully ignorant). People who know things are 'weird', dumb f__ks are 'normal'. Like so much else bad that's occurred during my lifetime it really got going around 1980. Reagan, MTV. The 'blanding' of America. More and more I relate to Noah...
The simple fact of the matter is that the Constitution is interesting.
I've never seen American Idol. From what I've heard it's like a junior high school talent show, except with cruelty. I watched part of an episode of the Simpsons once. About halfway in I realized I was thinking about something else and turned it off.
I'm not copping an attitude, it's just the way I am.
I read a book once about the audience that Walt Whitman thought he was writing for. In the 1840s & 50s evidently literacy was high in this country and church attendance was low. Hmmm...
I walk down the streets of my town and I overhear an awful lot of people talking on cellphones to other people, probably, talking on cellphones about what they're about to go buy. It all sounds like living death to me.
*

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home